Friday, August 12, 2005

A day of many first (Rave)

First night in town.

Find myself in one of my favorite cities in the USA, NYC, and still amazed at how many people there are: tourist, residents, visiting businessman, and students teeming in the subways, train stations, and on the streets. Oh delightful humanity.

NYC retains an aire of accessibility. Not reaking of exclusivity permeating day to day life, and hasn't achieve made for tourist veneer.

Staying at Club Quarters Downtown, a half block from Wall Street --another first, usually at the midtown branch of this scaled dormitory like business hotel. This facility can benefit from a renovation. The midtown had aesthetic punch, this is functional beige bland. Downtown, is also an area, rarely ventured too. I plan to see South seaport, Ellis Island Museum, and stroll to Wall street, Little Italy, Chinatown and SoHo in the next 4 days.

Took the New Jersey Transit Train from Newark to Penn Station. Another first, previously took an airporter bus into the Port Authority. Rode the Air Train to Rail Link. A very kind and young NJT employee gave me a free ticket, upon learning that I had purchased a $5 exit ticket from the terminal to train platform, and when inserted into the ticket machine--it did not return the ticket for train use. I woud have to pay an additional $18. He saved me an extra $13. After crossing the turnstile, he stated "you owe me one, next time you come through." Yes, indeed --a heartfelt thanks and to pass on that kindness to some other tired traveller.

This summer trip begins in NYC, usually the reverse occurs, I work in WDC, then head up. Reversed myself this time. Last year, we were here to celebrate Fran and Steve's wedding, and within a day of my return -- we learn of my father's passing. This is the first trip in an effort to "make sense" of my life again.

More to come...

No comments: